FORTYFIVES01.


Something
told me it was over
When I saw you and her talking
Something deep down
in my soul said, 'Cry, girl'
When I saw you and that girl walking around
Oh, I would rather go blind, boy
Than to see you walk away from me,
child
You see I love you so much that I don't want to watch you leave me,
baby
Most of all, I just don't want to be free, no

Etta James was the first one to record this classic 1969 tune originally written by Ellington Jordan. Following her footsteps were a wide variety such as Clarence Carter, Little Milton, Chicken Shack, Koko Taylor, Rod Stewart, B.B.King, Paul Weller, Ruby Turner, Sydney Youngblood, and most recently BeyoncĂ© Knowles. Why does anyone keep 45s anymore? Cadet Chess Label. Chicago, IL. Hello. My name is Charissa Tolentino and I’m addicted to wax. The cure is simple. I dig often. So this is my first entry. You should realize that I’m not a good writer, but I am going to write about these little pieces of plastic with holes in them!

There are so many 45 treasures lost in history. For me, it’s like playing detective for music. From rares to common, I enjoy discovering all kinds. Young. Old. The history is just as important to me as the present and future. Knowing that the history of music has lasted this long makes me excited for tomorrow’s changes. I can’t imagine what it would be like to lose my hearing. Thus, the title of this tune will serve as my theme on this blog “I’d Rather Go Blind”. I hope that my writing will project my passion for music. If you’re not open to listening, then don’t bother to read anything I write, as it will be a waste of your time. I’m happy to share what my ears experience with you all. It is already fulfilling within my personal life. I may not know everything about a record I find or own but I do know how to appreciate these things. In fact, I respect records like they are people and hope you might learn something new for yourselves, too.

WORDS: CTOLENTINO