DIS/LIKE2.


D-FERG
“I’m Say’en Dough…”
D-Ferg Ink Production

The other night I went out to listen to AnaRoxSicc, Intel, and MTM do they thang-thang on the decks at Lava. The night was poppin’ off lovely, the crowd was going bananas, and I was in the middle of the floor singing the lyrics to the heat being played like I’m in the music video. I was drunk. After a "who remembers good rap music"-discussion circle outside the club, I stumbled down Milwaukee looking for something to eat (yes; I was heading to Flash Taco, don’t judge me), and ran into the homie Fran G. sipping on a bottle of brandy out in front of the Flat Iron building. I now had whiskey and brandy flowing through me. I was out there fucking with folks (it’s cool, I knew most of them and I got it like that) and this dude rolls up on me hocking his new CD, so I decided to pick one up. I’m always down to support local or underground artists, and it looked like he put some thought into it, so figured why not?

First off, I’ve gots to give this guy props for being industrious. There’s an ad for D-Ferg Ink Productions arts, graphics, music, and apparel. The apparel part might explain the apparent fashion photo shoot of him looking fly on the mic, looking fly on stage, looking fly with a wad of money in his hand, looking fly while looking meaningfully off into the distance, looking fly while… you get it, right? However, none of said apparel is showcased (unless he makes suits… then never mind).

Second off, this album is a complete lie. D-FERG is not fly, sorry. From the PhotoShop’ed cover art that rips off Daz’s slept on gem Retaliation, Revenge and Get Bacc [hyperlinked by blog editor because everyone should own this classic album], to the horrible, horrible singing and rapping that he tortures listeners with . Fergie here considers himself a ladies man, but on every skit, the female parts are read by some guy. I'm assuming this is possibly him, trying his best to sound like a girl, but sounding like one who hasn’t had the full surgery yet.

This seems to be some kind of concept album. I didn’t get it at first, but then I realized that every skit ended with someone saying “I’m Say’en Dough…” just like that (with the ellipsis), and that was the link for the album’s story arc (he’s a thinker). The production work on the album has promise. It has a little ways to go before being fully realized, but I think it’ll get there. The intro is nice, and I have to admit the beat for “Mommy Say She Wanna Rock It” makes me nod my head. This is for you D-Ferg, I want my $5 back… (with the ellipsis).


WORDS: GORP ROK